How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my child is born in the united states but I am a non

Customer Question

If my child is born in the united states but I am a non resident can I apply for social security number?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can. If your child is/was born in a US hospital they will provide you the paperwork to complete and they will submit it for you. That is a requirement of law.

However, if your child is not born in a hospital (home birth), you will need to contact Social Security for the paperwork. Use for this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer with my question. I know my child automatically gets a SSN, but I want to apply for a SSN for myself. I live outside the US but travel and stay in the US months at a time, I need to take a loan on a car and start a credit union account but I cant do this without a SSN
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

If you are not a US citizen you cannot be issued a Social Security number. Instead you can be issued a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) which serves the same purpose. Here is a link to the IRS web site page where you can start the process.