How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13566
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm wanting to know if the amount I am receiving is

Customer Question

I'm wanting to know if the amount I am receiving is correct. I realized that the total they had used from W2. The 2012 year amount is correct. the 2013 year amount is only for payment the last two weeks of December 2012. The last two years that should have been was 2011 and 2012. If this is how it should have been to establish my disability, then, I have not been receiving the correct amount. Also, if it is agreed that my checks are not correct, would I get any kind of back pay and what would be my payment now.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

The SSA relies on the IRS figures, to determine your annual earnings each year. While 2 weeks worth of income would likely not have a notable effect on your lifetime earnings (which is what they base your benefit amount on). Thus, if your 2013 earnings is improperly reported on your tax return, you will want to file an amended return to correct it if you want it corrected. But note that the SSA will only make credit changes for returns amended and received within 3 years, 3 months and 15 days of their year end, so if you want to do this, you will want to just do it and not wait. IN your case, it looks like you are saying your 2012 income was 2 weeks less than it should have been and 2013 should have been zero. I don't see this having any bearing, certainly not one that will notably change your lifetime average monthly earnings upon which your SS is based, particularly when you DID pay SS taxes on those 2 weeks, it is just that you did it a couple of weeks later.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!