How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13566
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks in advance my question: My grandmother has been dead

Customer Question

Hello, and thanks in advance for answering my question:
My grandmother has been dead for 15 years(estimate). My brother has her ss card. It has 2 ss #s on it. one written in pen. She at some point changed her first name, but not her last name. Is it possible she had 2 numbers. If so we're wondering exactly when the name change occured. Wher do you suggest i go from here, and can you help..
Thanks *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kurt, she generally would not have 2 SS#s, even if she DID have a name change, so I am wondering if possibly she jotted down, say, her husband's SS number so we could remember it. But in any event, if she had a legal name change, she'd have done it through the courts if it was not an 'auto' name change, such as when we get married. She then would have changed it in the court in the county where she lives. You could try going to the courthouse and asking the clerk if you can learn of a name change petition and order for XX name.

Typically, the only time one can get a new SS# ***** ***** they have a severe need to disappear and not be found; such as witness protection or a domestic violence case where life is clearly in danger. But if that were the case, the last name would have been changed as well, and she would have moved anonymously where the perp couldn't find her, new name entirely, new location, new social so there'd be far less chance of tracking her down. Here you say she didn't change her last name. In any event, I'd start at the courthouse and see if you can get access to each year's name change petitions/orders, starting X years ago and going back. If that doesn't work, we typically have to hire a PI type of agency who has all sorts of proprietary methods of digging into people's past - that they won't share, else they'd be out of business - so that method will cost you.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!