How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to get a copy of my exhusbands death certificate

Customer Question

I am trying to get a copy of my exhusbands death certificate and I need something from Social Security stating this is needed in order to apply for survivor benefits. Are you able to provide me with something I can print out and supply the State of Minnesota with so they can move forward?
Thank you,
Marilyn Burke
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question. Death records are public records, so you can go to or call the State of Minnesota department of vital records and they will assist you in getting the death certificate. If your ex husband has an estate you can also ask the executor of the estate to get you a copy of that.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.