Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

My husband died early this month. we had separate accounts

Customer Question
my husband died early this...
my husband died early this month. we had separate accounts mine was quite small compared to his can I now collect from his?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
12/28/2015
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Good morning, I am so sorry for your loss.

How old are you please?

And when you say you had separate account mine was quite small compared, are you referring to Social Security Retirement benefits?

my age is 85 I had taken out ss years before my husband It is just plain retirement
sorry I did not mean to hit the "call me" button
perhaps we had better discontinue this my hands shake my mind is getting fuzzy and my computer like me is moving very slowly

No worries, we can go as slow as you wish. And you do not need to pay extra for a phone call as we can answer it here. Here is what you will want to do:

First, you need to notify the SSA that he has passed. Bring with you 1) your photo ID, 2) your birth certificate 3) your marriage certificate and 4) his death certificate

If your husband's benefit is greater than your own you will want to apply for a survivor benefit to replace your own.

You will also tell the SSA you wish to apply for the $255 death benefit.

You can't do these things online, unfortunately, so you need to go in person, typically. It may be possible to do it on the phone, but the SSA is hard to reach by phone and you will still have to mail your documents, which is risky (unless you have a trusted loved one to deliver them, get them acknowledged as received, and immediately returned to his hands to return to you).

Note that if he died in Dec., the check he received in Dec was owed and and good to go (as it was for Nov). But a check received in January if you don't get him cancelled soon will not be due him and must be returned, so don't spend it.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq