How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13551
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died early this month. we had separate accounts

Customer Question

my husband died early this month. we had separate accounts mine was quite small compared to his can I now collect from his?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I am so sorry for your loss.

How old are you please?

And when you say you had separate account mine was quite small compared, are you referring to Social Security Retirement benefits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my age is 85 I had taken out ss years before my husband It is just plain retirement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I did not mean to hit the "call me" button
perhaps we had better discontinue this my hands shake my mind is getting fuzzy and my computer like me is moving very slowly
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

No worries, we can go as slow as you wish. And you do not need to pay extra for a phone call as we can answer it here. Here is what you will want to do:

First, you need to notify the SSA that he has passed. Bring with you 1) your photo ID, 2) your birth certificate 3) your marriage certificate and 4) his death certificate

If your husband's benefit is greater than your own you will want to apply for a survivor benefit to replace your own.

You will also tell the SSA you wish to apply for the $255 death benefit.

You can't do these things online, unfortunately, so you need to go in person, typically. It may be possible to do it on the phone, but the SSA is hard to reach by phone and you will still have to mail your documents, which is risky (unless you have a trusted loved one to deliver them, get them acknowledged as received, and immediately returned to his hands to return to you).

Note that if he died in Dec., the check he received in Dec was owed and and good to go (as it was for Nov). But a check received in January if you don't get him cancelled soon will not be due him and must be returned, so don't spend it.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!


StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional