How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive SSI ck gr-granddau. 16 yrs old she wants to move

Customer Question

I receive SSI ck for my gr-granddau. 16 yrs old she wants to move in with her new boyfriend ( he is not working-lives with his mother) do I still control her SSI ck. I am her gr-grandmother/guardian
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You say SSI - a child only receives SSI if she is disabled under SS rules. Do you mean she gets a Social Security check based on a parent's work record ? (That parent being disabled, retired or dead.)?

If you are her representative payee, you must continue to control her check and use it to pay her living expenses, whereever she lives, until such time as the SSA changes her RP to another adult or to her if they think she capable. That said, if she moves, you likely can not use part of her check to pay her share of the rent or mortgage any longer, nor on food, since she will no longer be using that as her shelter. If her boyfriend's mother charges rent (I would, under such circumstances), you would likely pay that rent bill for your GD. If she has no bills where she is going, I'd put the money into a dedicated savings account for her, because eventually it will have to go to her. So, essentially, as long as you continue to be her RP, you need to control that money for her, be it saving it because you no longer have to provide her shelter and food, or, if you don't want to be her RP, going to SSA and asking that they appoint a commercial / institutional RP since your GD is no longer in your care.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!


StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional