How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know why I am paying social security taxes on my

Customer Question

I want to know why I am paying social security taxes on my SS and Teacher Retirement at the age of 68? I pay federal and state taxes on the TRS and now I realize that my SS tax has to be paid for my 2014 income taxes. Which taxes am I exempted from paying?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I don't fully understand you. If your modified income (generally, your TRS plus investment income plus tax-exempt interest plus half of Social Security) is greater than a certain amount ($25,000 if you are filing as "Single"), some of your Social Security income is taxable for (Federal) income tax purposes. And, due to the GPO (Government Pension Offset), your TRS pension may reduce your Social Security income.

I can explain why the GPO was implemented, but Social Security income being taxable is just an act of Congress. There are many of those which nobody can explain.