How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29580
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently on SS Disability as well as a personal

Customer Question

I am currently on SS Disability as well as a personal disability insurance. I turn 62 this month and my insurance id good until I turn 65. My husband and i were married for 28 years. I have a copy of my marriage certificate and a copy of his death certificate. I would like to collect from his social security when I turn 65. Is there a deadline for applying for this change? my main concern is whether i need to make this request by the time I turn 62. I turn 62 on 12/28. Please advise ASAP.Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

There is no deadline - and you may bring all that information to your social security office.

Ther eis no need to wait till you turn 65 - and I suggest to apply as soon as possible.
Based on your information - you are eligible for survival social security benefits based on your spouse working record.

If these benefits are more than your own benefits - you will be getting additional benefits for the difference.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Following publication might be extremely helpful to understand your benefits

See page 5 - Who can get survivors benefits based on your work?
• Your widow or widower may be able to get full benefits at full retirement age. The full retirement age for survivors is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956 and will gradually increase to age 67 for people born in 1962 or later.

Your widow or widower can get reduced benefits as early as age 60.

If your surviving spouse is disabled, benefits can begin as early as age 50.

So far you are eligible for survivors benefits NOW and may apply immediately.

Any questions?

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.