How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get off S.S. & get on disability??? My lower back

Customer Question

How can I get off S.S. & get on disability??? My lower back has two disc that has no cartledge between them & they are hitting a nerve & making my right side numb. I can't get a job(I've been trying for months) I sit, stand, walk, sleep for any length of time (5 minutes, then I have to change positions). That is why I had to retire when I did.
Please Help Me!
Christine Kline
P.S. I am under a Dr's care but I don't think he is the right on. My family Dr put me on pain killers & a shot.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi Christine, what kind of "SS" are you getting, how much is it per month, and how long have you been getting it for? Also, how old are you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get $1,260.00 per month for I believe since 8/14 (?) My B-D 7/27/49
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Home 1.***-***-****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind I can't afford anymore money
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Christine, if you paid a deposit, I don't believe the site charges you any more. OK, so you are getting 1260/mo and you are of full retirement age. SSDIB (social security disability insurance benefits) ends at full retirement age. So you can't go back and get it. BUT, you wouldn't want to, since it is exactly the same amount you are getting now, it just is a replacement for retiremenet when you can't work until retirement because you became disabled.

The best way to increase your monthly amount, if possible, is to NOT collect yet, but to wait until age 70. That generally gives you a 32% raise once you start it. This works best for people who can still work, at least part time and have enough income or resources to get by on until age 70.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi Christine, is there something additional about this I can further clarify for you?