How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A couple,man a widower age 83 receives Social security (he

Customer Question

A couple,man a widower age 83 receives Social security (he is retired),woman age 72,
retired also receives Social Security, have been a couple for awhile would like to marry are there penalties for doing that or can we just go on collecting our individual SS ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

You can continue to receive your individual benefits without any penalties or reductions. However, if one spouse is receiving less than 1/2 the benefit of the other there is the option, once you are married, for that spouse to receive 1/2 the higher benefit. This is not required of either of you but is something to at least consider if there is a large disparity in the benefits you are receiving. It does require applying for that change once you are married but will not pose a problem. The benefit which is greater will not be impacted.