Alexander Haraczka
Alexander Haraczka,
Experience:  Supervisor at Cummings, Lamont & McNamee, PA
20618007

WHEN A PERSON DIES AND HAS A TRUST DO THEY ISSUE A NEW SS

Customer Question

WHEN A PERSON DIES AND HAS A TRUST DO THEY ISSUE A NEW SS NUMBER?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Alexander Haraczka replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and thank you for asking your question about trusts. My name is Alexander; I'm an EA and am happy to assist you in this matter.

If the decedent had a revocable trust during their lifetime, the trust becomes irrevocable on their death. At that time, an EIN (Employer Identification Number), similar to an SSN, should be obtained. The executor of the estate would submit the request with the IRS by filing Form SS-4.

If any of the advice I've given is unclear, please let me know and I will clarify. If you are satisfied that you've received prompt and professional advice, please be sure to rate me as soon as you're able. Thank you,