How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alexander Haraczka Your Own Question
Alexander Haraczka
Alexander Haraczka,
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 23
Experience:  Supervisor at Cummings, Lamont & McNamee, PA
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Alexander Haraczka is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My x husband is deceased. I was married to m 16 years. I am

Customer Question

My x husband is deceased. I was married to him for over 16 years. I am 62 and retired from the postal service. Would I be entitled to any social security money? I understand about the windfall.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Alexander Haraczka replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and thank you for posing your question. My name is Alexander; I'm an EA and am happy to assist you with this issue.

To be eligible for survivor benefits from an ex-spouse, you need to meet the following criteria:

1. You were married for at least 10 years to your ex-spouse and,

2. You were not re-married prior to age 60 (and still married to that person),

The amount you would be eligible for is dependent on whether your ex-spouse was receiving full or reduced benefits, and may be limited by your income as well; however, that is outside the scope of your question. You would want to contact the Social Security Administration to determine the benefit amount.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question; if my response was unclear, please let me know. If you are satisfied with my response to the question you asked, please be sure to rate me as soon a you're able.