How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37669
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has recently passed away. Am I eligible to

Customer Question

My husband has recently passed away. Am I eligible to receive his social security payment instead o fmy own? His is more than mine
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I already answered your question back in your original question thread, but I will answer it again here.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, absolutely, you are now eligible to apply for a survivor benefit and take the greater amount of benefit that your husband was receiving at his death.

It is not possible to make this switch over the internet. You will need to go to your local social security office and bring with you a copy of your marriage license, a copy of his death certificate and both of your social security numbers. They will process your new benefit for you there.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,