How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13544
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim my grandchildren on s.s.when I retire. Ihave

Customer Question

can I claim my grandchildren on s.s.when I retire. Ihave rasised them since they were babies ,they are now 12&9 years old
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you need to adopt them for them, unfortunately. Raising them isn't enough because (in theory), there parent's should be the financial supporters owing child support. But, if you adopt them, YES, they can get benefits up to 1/2 of your primary insurance amount for several more years (til each are 18+). Can you get that done, do you think? May be worth it!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their parents haven't been in their life .They have been jail off and on their whole life.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I understand. SSA law says that to be a child eligible for dependents, one must legally be the worker's child. If they haven't been adopted, then their parents are their parents, even though in jail or not interested. The expected avenue is that the parents are sued for child support, and not that they can get SS off of the record of their caretaker, even if a grandparent. Note that should either legal parent die, become SS disabled, or become entitled to retirement benefits, any minor children then can get child dependent benefits off of that parent's record. But other 3rd parties, be they aunt, cousin, friend, foster parent, etc., no, their SS policy/insurance doesn't cover non-legal children. So sorry! Adoption is it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their parents have been in and out of jail for the last 10 years. They have no contact with them.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I understand. That is tragic. So does that mean you will be adopting them? I am sure it would be helpful for them to gain this benefit.