How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4475
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 62 y.o. and still work full time. My husband died

Customer Question

I'm 62 y.o. and still work full time. My husband died 11.19.15 at age of 68. He was drawing SS. Can I draw his SS while still working?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. Sorry for your loss.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

At your age, you are eligible for survivor benefits based on his work history. Your benefit is based on your age, and will be 80% or so of his benefit.

Because you are working, you may lose some of the benefit to repayment. From

How much can I earn and still get benefits?

If you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, your earnings may reduce your benefit amount. (If you were born between 1/2/1943 and 1/1/1955, your full retirement age is 66 years.)

  • If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2015, that limit is $15,720.

  • In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2015, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago. is the link to that SSA material.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. positive feedback rating my assistance closes out your question after I have answered your question. I'm PDtax.