How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29581
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife recently has passed at the age of 65 and had

Customer Question

my wife recently has passed at the age of 65 and had recently applied but did not start to collect her social security benefits. I am 59 years old and will be 60 next October and I still am working and contributing to social security. I make around $ 95,000 per year and my wife made around 85,000. Can I claim widowers benefits at the age of 60 and would this impact my retirement benefits when I reach full retirement. Also I have MS.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for your loss...

Yes - you may start collecting Survivors Benefits based on your spouse's working record.
However - because you are still below FRA - full retirement age - if you continue to work - your benefits will be reduced based on your earning. With earned income ~$85,000 - you woudl not get any social security benefits.
If you stop working or if your earning will be below certain limit - you will be entitled for reduced social security benefits. Survivors benefits that start at age 60 are always reduced by 28.50%.

As your year of birth is 1956 - your Full (survivors) Retirement Age is 66 - so - if you start benefits before that age - your benefits will be reduced.
That reduction will affect your own benefits which will be reduced as well.

Any questions?

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.