How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I file from my disabled wife that passed away more than

Customer Question

Can I file for benefits from my disabled wife that passed away more than 6 years ago without affecting my benefits.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Actually, that should work. In spite of Congress's recent elimination of the "file and suspend" option (that is, you would file for SS benefits but suspend the benefits based on your own record), the new law doesn't affect survivor's benefits.