How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 18 and still in h.s. My husband died. He was

Customer Question

my son is 18 and still in h.s. My husband died. He was receiving benefits. They stopped them even after I submitted documentation that he is still in high school. Have been trying to get this rectified, but keep getting the run around. I have been there several times and called several times. Any higher ups we can go to?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

According to SSA regulations - Who can get survivors benefits?


- unmarried children, who are younger than age 18 (or up to age 19 if they’re attending elementary or secondary school full time), can also get benefits. Your children can get benefits at any age if they were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled.

See for reference - page 5

When the SSA makes a decision on your claim, they will send you a letter explaining the decision.
If you do not agree with that decision, you can appeal—that is, ask the SSA to look at your case again.

They are:
• Reconsideration;
• Hearing by an administrative law judge;
• Review by the Appeals Council; and
• Federal Court review.
When the SSA sends you a letter about a decision on your application, they will tell you how to appeal the decision.

But you may find additional information in following publication

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.