How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29965
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced collecting my social security. Am retired. My

Customer Question

I am divorced collecting my social security. Am retired. My ex husband retired 2014, I now are both 71. I have been collecting a small fee from his social security for last five years. Is there something I am to do now that he is retired.we were together twenty-four years. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

The issue is that if you are eligible for spousal benefits - you will receive 50% of his benefits - not 100%.

So social security benefits on your own record are compared to the half of your spouse benefits.

If a spouse is eligible for a retirement benefit based on his or her own earnings, and if that benefit is higher than the spousal benefit, then SSA pays the retirement benefit. Otherwise SSA pays the spousal benefit. Social security benefits are not calculated based on the last year earning - but are based on the life long earning record.

Eligibility for spousal benefits is based on the length of marriage. As long as you were married at least 10 years - you are eligible.

Any questions?