How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a company. Can I shift the income to my wife when I am

Customer Question

I own a company. Can I shift the income to my wife when I am 62 and not have my monthly benefits penalized.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answers, but almost certainly not....

BY "I own a company", I presume you mean you are running a business as a sole proprietorship. If not, you'll have to explain how owning the company affects your social security benefits.

You may pay your wife a salary from the company, which will shift some income, but the salary must be reasonable and for actual work. The IRS is used to fake income-shifting.

Related Social Security Questions