How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2014, I was eligible to claim $237 on my income tax

Customer Question

In 2014, I was eligible to claim $237 on my income tax return because I was self-employed, but my accountant did not enter that amount on line 29 on my return. Instead, he entered 0. The result is that my overall income was $85,122, so my Medicare Part B premium in 2016 will increase to $170.50 and the deduction for prescription drug coverage will increase to $12.70. My Social Security benefit will decrease to $1,591.30. Can I file an amended 2014 return to decrease my overall income to less than $85,122?
Thank you for answering my question.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, if your amended return brings down your income below the threshold for being charged a higher premium on Part B Medicare, then filing the return may be used to argue that you don't owe the increase.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,