How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I turn 65 in April, do I apply now?..also, I am covered

Customer Question

I turn 65 in April, do I apply for medicare now?..also, I am covered under my husband's insurance, do I still need to apply for supplemental insurance? or do I wait to get my SSI card before I do anyting else?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Kathleen,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is the insurance your husband has provided through his employer?

2. Is your husband still working---not for example retired or terminated with severance and receiving health benefits from the employer?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband and I are covered under his insurance through his employer. He is still working and has three years before retiring.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Kathleen,

You might as well apply for Medicare Part A 3 months before you turn 65. It is free and will be a secondary coverage at worst for you. As for Part B and other supplementals, there is no need to spend the money to buy those now so long as your husband has insurance and he is still working. When he ceases working or loses coverage, whichever occurs fort, you will need to immediately apply for Part B and nay additional supplements you might want. Failure to sign up for Part B at that point will lead to a penalty the next year.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,