Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

537307075 Received letter dated Nov. 25,2015 that has a

Customer Question
Received letter dated Nov. 25,2015...
Received letter dated Nov. 25,2015 that has a deduction for Medicare premium of $121.80. My question, is this amount based on 2014 AGI? My AGI for 2014 was $181,105 and chart in letter states IRMAA is $48.70 not $121.80. Please advise which number is *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
12/3/2015
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. No Medicare Part B is only $48.70. Are you saying that they way you read the chart the increase over the base cost is an additional $48.70?

2. In 2014 did you file Head of Household, jointly or separate?

Doug

I filed 2014 as head oh household. The letter states my 2016 benefit is $2,439.50 less part B premium of $121.80 and $48.70. Another deduction for prescription drugs of $12.70. Leaving monthly payment of $2256.30.

Good afternoon,

Your premium is not based on your AGI, but your MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income). I can't determine what chart you are looking at. Here is the chart from social security to determine 2016 Part B premiums based on income from 2014: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0601101020

And here is the complex calculation to determine your MAGI: https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Passive-Activity-Loss-ATG-Exhibit-2-2-Modified-Adjusted-Gross-Income-Computation

I suspect after you determine your MAGI you'll find that the social security premium is likely correct.

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney