How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I turend to be 65years old And I have not enough points I

Customer Question

If I turend to be 65years old
And I have not enough points
I have only 30points. I did not work for two years because ihave
.....disck operation....
......high blood preture
.......anaxity and depresseion
.........irritable bowll
I have Engineering degree will that affect
Can I apply now or wait tell I become 65
And roughly how much I get
And lastley can I still recive benifits
If I live out side the states
My email is
raditaye @gmail. Com
Phone... Message please
(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be 65years after eight months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is promising please refair me
To well known Lawer in Tucson Arizonan please....
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you haven't yet worked an earned enough to qualify for either Medicare or a retirement benefit, then all you need to do is continue working until you have gained the remaining 10 quarter credits and then apply for your Medicare and retirement benefits.

Let's say that you have a total of just 30 credits---not enough to get a social security benefit. What I typically tell people is to just work the additional 3 years it will take to earn enough to earn the credits. Taking a job need not be difficult, and you could even have your friend or spouse hire you, report the income and do withholding and for very little money, and a couple years of going through the process, you can easily get those additional 10 credits you need to make a retirement claim.

Social security no longer gives credits based on quarters but based on income earned during any time of the calendar year. The amount of earnings required for a quarter of coverage (QC) in 2015 is $1,220. So if you can earn income and pay taxes on $4,880 in 2015, do it again in 2016 and then in 2017 earn just $2,440, you will have earned the 10 quarters.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,