How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 72. My wife will be 70 in January 2016. She presently

Customer Question

I am 72. My wife will be 70 in January 2016. She presently receives her social security benefit as a factor of my social security. How can I determine how much her separately computed social security benefit would be? Can she elect to change to her separately computed social security benefit?
My son is 36 years old and is blind. He also receives a factor of my social security as a benefit. If my wife elects to change to her separately computed benefit, will the benefit that my son receives increase?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your wife can determine her social security retirement benefit by looking at her Social Security Statement. If she does not have one, then she can get one online in about 15 minutes. Let me explain.

She can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site:

Because both your wife and your son are receiving benefits based on your earnings history, they are getting less than they would if only one of them were claiming on it. In fact, each of them is probably getting no more than 35% of your full retirement benefit. If your wife switches to her own benefit your son would automatically be eligible for the full 50% of your benefit and it is quite likely that your wife's benefit now will be worth much more than the amount she is getting based on your earnings.

So yes, if your wife switches to her own benefit now, your son's benefit will increase by about 30% immediately.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,