How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37684
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is and I am 67. I think I'm asking about "file and

Customer Question

My wife is 69 and I am 67. I think I'm asking about "file and suspend" - where one of us can receive additional while the other's account continues to grow. For instance I would like to wait until I am 70. Can you explain this. Who should be filing when for maximum benefit? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you want to allow your benefit to grow until age 70, then you may file and suspend and allow your wife to take a restricted benefit of a spouse benefit now and her benefit can continue to grow until age 70 as well at which point she would switch back to her own retirement benefit. Or she could file and suspend and you could take a spouse benefit---allowing each of your benefits to continue to grow to age 70.

The deciding factor will be which of you had the greater benefit at age 66, because the other spouse would get 50% of that. The person who earned the most income in their life will have the greater benefit as between the two of you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I believe our benefits will be a couple of hundred dollars different so either of could do the file and suspend so is it better for her to file or me - given that I am 67 and she is 69? Can I file for her?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Your age doesn't determine which of you should file an suspend. The one of you with the greatest age 66 full retirement benefit should file and suspend allowing the other to take a restricted spouse benefit. That will maximize the income for you and still allow both of your benefits to increase to age 70 by 8% per year.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,