How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 19134
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife opted to receive social security at the age of 62.

Customer Question

My wife opted to receive social security at the age of 62. At the time I was 52. I am a 100% disabled veteran and am unable to work. My wife passed away in August of 2014 at the age of 63. Her monthly social security check was stopped. Am I able to receive social security as a widowed spouse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

You are not eligible to receive the benefits at this time. You must be 60 and over in order to receive the survivor benefits. For more information, click on the link below:

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact Social Security Administration ("SSA") for this information. Here is SSA's contact information:

If your sister has been using your mother's charge cards, you need to file a police report against her.