How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Social security owes my deceased mothers estate $3,239 a

Customer Question

social security owes my deceased mothers estate $3,239 for over a year and a half. We have filled out all the forms they have requested several times.
SSA over withdrew $3,292 over a year and a half ago.
SSA over withdrew $3,292 from my deceased mothers checking account over a year and a half ago. They admitted the mistake and said they would return the money. We have filled out their required forms multiple times and are told we would receive our money in 45 to 60 days. We have never received any money only promises... It has been over a year and a half of going to the local office and calling the 800 number. I have kept track of times, dates and places and persons contacted. Where do I go from here???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi Larry, infuritating, I know. I have several such cases. In each one, after doing my due diligence and giving ample/reasonable "time" for the SSA staffers to do their job, process an item properly, I am left with no choice but to go to my Congressperson. Each one has a team for SS inquiries - used for glitches like this - not for decisions of substance or law, but when the proper procedure is laid out and undisputed, and someone just forgets to press the button or look in his inbox. I am in the midst of one now, in fact. It amost always involves payment of moneys due, be it my client's back pay or my own attorney fee. And usually, it is resolved within 2-3 weeks tops.

As such, get to your Congressperson's website, find the link for "help with a federal agency" - and described CONCISELY what was to happen and still has not. I would not go into every piece of frustration (such as each time you spoke to SS person and the substance), but sum it up: I personally spoke with an employee at that local SSA a minimum of 11 times (I have documentation of each one), with assurances this would be resolved expediently, and now it has bee 18 months. You CAN attach the mandatory forms you filled out and submitted, plus your receipts showing they were mailed/tracked/received by SSA.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!