How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29576
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is totally disabled and receives a SSA TREAS 301

Customer Question

My wife is totally disabled and receives a SSA TREAS 301 payment monthly. I (her husband) will be 63 this Jan. I am self employed and our health insurance premiums are skyrocketing. Can you please tell me if I can stop paying for a husband and wife health plan, switch to a single plan for myself and medicare for her? Also what happens as we turn 66?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Yes - if your spouse is eligible for Medicare - there is no need to have additional insurance.

You may purchase supplemental insurance for her - but you are not required to have it.

You will be eligible for Medicare at age 65 - so while you will apply for social security benefits at your full retirement age 66, still at age 65 you will apply for Medicare.

Please be aware that as a self-employed person you may deduct Medicare premiums on your tax return.

Let me know if you need help with reporting.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.