LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

A WIDOWS PENSION NOW. NEXT FEBRUARY I WOULD LIKE T START

Customer Question

I AM DRAWING A WIDOWS PENSION NOW. NEXT FEBRUARY I WOULD LIKE T START DRAWING MY OWN. THEY SAID AT THE TIME THAT I WOULD DRAW 1624 A MONTH. I HAVE BEEN TOLD DIFFERENT AMOUNTS. DO I NEED TO GO AHEAD NOW TO PREPARE TO DRAW IT FEBRUAR 9TH. I AM NOW 68 AND WILL BE 69 2/9. PLEASE HELP.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you are getting a survivor benefit now, your own retirement benefit is growing at the rate of 8% a year (2/3% per month) and will continue to do so until age 70 if you want to wait that long.

You are free to switch to your own retirement benefit at any time, and if you want to begin your retirement benefit in February of 2016, then you can apply to social security ahead of time to do that. You may ask for the switch to your own benefit and from the survivor benefit up to three months in advance.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug