How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 67 and working as a teacher in NJ. Can I continue to

Customer Question

I am 67 and working as a teacher in NJ. Can I continue to work and collect social security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

If you are covered by Social Security you can certainly apply for benefits even while you work. You can apply at the Social Security Admininstration web site Certain governments and their agencies have opted out of the Social Security system. If you work for one of those you will not be covered. To verify the inclusion of your coverage you can simply look at a recent pay stub. If you see a deduction for any of the following taxes (they are all different names for the same item) then you are covered:

Social Security



If you are not covered you could apply to retire and receive your pension. Then find employment at another school if that suits your plans . There is no restriction against working while receiving Social Security retirement benefits.