Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am a 65 1/2 yr. old woman married to a retired 72 yr.old..

Customer Question
I applied. For disability when...
I am a 65 1/2 yr. old woman married to a retired 72 yr.old.. I applied. For disability when I was 57 and denied with fatigue tremor and confusion. Later I was diagnosed with Parkinson's and bi polar of which my symptoms. Commonly precede expert diagnosis
of these two illnesses. Am I I pushed forth working until 62 1/2 and continued to pay into social security and disability. Am I now just out of luck because I had no support in the process? Jean
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
11/18/2015
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Hi Jean and welcome to our site!
When the SSA made a decision on your claim and sent you a letter explaining their decision - you had a certain period to appeal.
If you do not agree with the denial, you can appeal — that is, ask the SSA to look at your case again.

If you applied for Social Security disability benefits and your claim was denied, the fastest and easiest way to file an appeal of your decision is by visiting

www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/appeal

You can upload documents online to support your appeal, which will help decrease the time it takes to receive a decision from Social Security.

Please be aware that you must make your request within 60 days from the date you receive our letter. The SSA assumes you receive the letter five days after the date on the letter, unless you can show us you received it later. Call your local Social Security office if you need help with your appeal.

If you did not timely request an appeal - and missed an appeal deadline in your Social Security case - you might be eligible for a late appeal based on your specific circumstances.

Following document provides some examples for the good cause for late filing considerations.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0203101020

So - I suggest to consult with a local attorney and look for a lawyer, a friend or someone else to help you. Someone you appoint to help you is called your “representative.”

Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor