How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 65 1/2 yr. old woman married to a retired 72 yr.old..

Customer Question

I am a 65 1/2 yr. old woman married to a retired 72 yr.old.. I applied. For disability when I was 57 and denied with fatigue tremor and confusion. Later I was diagnosed with Parkinson's and bi polar of which my symptoms. Commonly precede expert diagnosis
of these two illnesses. Am I I pushed forth working until 62 1/2 and continued to pay into social security and disability. Am I now just out of luck because I had no support in the process? Jean
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jean and welcome to our site!
When the SSA made a decision on your claim and sent you a letter explaining their decision - you had a certain period to appeal.
If you do not agree with the denial, you can appeal — that is, ask the SSA to look at your case again.

If you applied for Social Security disability benefits and your claim was denied, the fastest and easiest way to file an appeal of your decision is by visiting

You can upload documents online to support your appeal, which will help decrease the time it takes to receive a decision from Social Security.

Please be aware that you must make your request within 60 days from the date you receive our letter. The SSA assumes you receive the letter five days after the date on the letter, unless you can show us you received it later. Call your local Social Security office if you need help with your appeal.

If you did not timely request an appeal - and missed an appeal deadline in your Social Security case - you might be eligible for a late appeal based on your specific circumstances.

Following document provides some examples for the good cause for late filing considerations.

So - I suggest to consult with a local attorney and look for a lawyer, a friend or someone else to help you. Someone you appoint to help you is called your “representative.”

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Related Social Security Questions