Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am 65, working as a school bus driver and undergoing

Customer Question
breast cancer treatments. I have...
I am 65, working as a school bus driver and undergoing breast cancer treatments. I have been missing work due to the side effects of the hormone therapy. No work, no pay. Can I apply and get social security benefits to help supplement my income?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
11/17/2015
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, I am so sorry for what you are going through.

At 65, you are old enough to collect "early" social security retirement if you choose and are insured for same (if you worked paying SS taxes sufficiently over your lifetime). So that is available to you even if you are not eligible for disability from SS.

Social Security Disability requires a 12 month duration of being "disabled". The 12 months need not have passed already, but the medical records must be very clear that you are and will be unable to work "substantially/gainfully" for at least 12 months. Thus, SSD is not for very temporary disabilities. That said, even if one can work a little, she can still be "disabled" for SSD purposes if she can not engage in substantial gainful activity. So, if one can only work, say, 10 hours/week and is not earning more than 1090/mo (gross), and the medical evidence proves they can't work more than those hours and can't work full time at ANY kind of work, she could win an SSD case and still be working that little bit.

Aside from that, you can also consider applying for state assistance, such as Medicaid or foodstamps, etc., at your local medical assistance office. Areas have different criteria for eligibility, but if your income puts you in the poverty range you may be eligible, so it can't hurt to apply.

Also, come states have temporary disability for workers who can't work due to non-work-related illness or injury - not many states, but some, including NJ, CA... RI I believe, so check if your state does. There are about 5 states or so that do.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq