LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I have been collecting SSD 10 years. The first 5 years it

Customer Question

I have been collecting SSD for past 10 years. The first 5 years it was completely offset by work comp TD. In 2014 I was granted (from my county job that I paid into Soc for four years and then they changed to not paying into soc sec for my last four years of county work) ia non taxed service connected disability retirement of $3300 per month with a large lump sum retroactive backpay to 2005 when I was injured on the job & applied for it. It took that long cause I had four surgeries and was trying to get back to work. Also in 2015, I received a settlement from Work Comp with ongoing medical. My WC attorney suggested I not report this info to Soc Sec and wait til they send me a letter if they find an overpayment. I have been receiving about $800 monthly from SSD since 2010. Should soc sec have already converted my SSD to regular retirement by now (I am 64, born in 1951). Will
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your SSDI benefit will not be automatically converted to a retirement benefit until the month in which you turn 66 years old.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but will I need to pay SSD back the $71,000 they have paid me over the last five years if I alert them I am now getting $3400 per month since 2014 with a lump sum retroactive backpay to 2005? And will they take money from my Work comp settlement? Should I wait for them to catch it and send me an overpayment notice? Presently SSD is still sending me checks for $800 per month.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are u there?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I can continue here with an answer.

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have been trying to accept your offer for a call for $12 but it is not going thru. not sure why.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

I'll offer it again, and if it still won't work, then call customer service at(###) ###-####and they can help you.

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i called them and they said the original charge did go thru but not the $12. so can we continue online here till I get a full answer?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

If you have funds, customer service can help you get the call approved. That is why I suggested you call them.

While you may have posted a deposit, I assure you, you have not yet been charged and I have not yet been credited with helping you.

There was a specific reason I suggested a call---primarily because you have posted 4 separate questions/issues in a single question thread. As you may not be aware, the Rules of JustAnswer specify that each customer ask one question in each question thread. For new questions/issues, the customer is asked to open a new question thread, or to accept an offer of additional services. I could answer all of your issued in 20 minutes or so on the phone, but due to the complexity of your issues, it could take me an hour or two to answer them all here.

You are asking about 4 separate things and their impact on social security benefits:

1. Disability Retirement

2. Workers compensation settlement

3. Retroactive wages.

4. When SSDI converts to Retirement benefits.

I can tell you that a private disability benefit you may be receiving will not impact your SSDI benefits.

Retroactive wages for time that you did not actually work, and a lump sum workers' compensation settlement both have the ability to impact your SSDI benefits.

Doug