LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My social security check was to be deposited on the 15th of

Customer Question

My social security check was to be deposited on the 15th of every month. It has been for many years. It was not deposited until October 16, 2015. This caused an overdraft on my account. Has my date changed or may deposit fluctuate in the future? LL
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What type of social security benefit are you receiving?

2. What year did you first begin receiving it?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Regular Social Security that I paid into for years.2. I think I started receiving Social Security benefits in 1999 or 2000. When I retired in 2006 I received the letter stating that benefits would be deposited the 15th of every month. That has been the case until October 15, 2015.Lois
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the additional information.

What day of the month were you born on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was born on a Sunday.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the confusion. I need the numerical date of your birth----like the 10th or the 23rd.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was born on the 12thLois
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

Thanks so much for all the additional information.

I am honestly stumped as to what might be happening with your benefit payment. What you are telling me goes contrary to social security rules. Since May 1977 all social security retirement beneficiaries have been scheduled to be paid on the second, third or fourth Wednesday of each month depending on the date of their birth. People receiving benefits before 1997 receive them on the 3rd of each month.

No one is scheduled to receive their benefit on the 15th of a month. Here is a link to the social security site that sets out the payment date for everyone receiving social security benefits, as well as for people receiving SSI benefits: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031.pdf

Based on your date of birth, and when you first began receiving your benefits, your benefits should be being deposited to your bank on or about the 3rd Wednesday of every month. No, the 3rd Wednesday is sometimes on the 15th, but more often than not, it is later in the month.

All I can suggest is that you call social security to try and unravel this issue you have. Their number is 1-***-***-****. But I can assure you that social security has never paid a benefit to any class of retiree the 15th of every month.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug