How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started taking SS benefits as a widow on my deceased

Customer Question

I started taking SS benefits as a widow on my deceased husband's SS at age 60. I will be 66 in 2016 and want to know if I switch to my own SS for four years can I then switch back to my husband's benefit at age 70? My own benefit will always be lower than his but I'm hoping that if I can delay using his again until age 70 I will receive a higher monthly benefit.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question

Unfortunately, once you start drawing you can't defer benefits until later and receive more benefits. You would have had to delayed even drawing the survivor benefit.

I wish I had better news for you

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the "start-stop-start" method?
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

When you do this, you must pay back everything you had drawn before in order to get the increase in benefits beyond the annual COBRA and credit for your additional work. It does not work with delayed retirement credits.