Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

At 82 I am about to receive an overdue payment on a

Customer Question
commission. can I opt out...
At 82 I am about to receive an overdue payment on a commission. can I opt out of paying into scocial security
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
11/12/2015
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Federal law does not allow anyone, regardless of their age, from option out of paying social security taxes on earned income. Just like federal income taxes, social security taxes are mandatory on earned income. I am sorry. But for you to avoid paying social security taxes on the income would be against the tax laws, and could subject you to both civil and criminal penalties---something that I'm sure you want to avoid.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney