Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

If I was getting ssa before I retired and now they have

Customer Question

If I was getting ssa before I retired and now they have taken away my ssa what I am to do next
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What type of social security benefits you were receiving. Were you receiving surviving spouse benefits of benefits based on his records?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure which, I know that I started getting it when I turned 66
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I retired in Dec.2014 and they stopped the ssa in June 2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are claiming now that I owe the over 5000.00
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

When you reach your full retirement age, usually your social security benefits eligibility changes. You will have to make an appointment at your local SSA office and talk to an agent who can access yours and your husband's records. Than you can discuss with her or him what options are available to you.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Let me check something, hold on

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Most likely your eligibility for your spousal benefits stopped once you retired. SSA agent can explain to you what type of benefits you were getting and what benefits you are currently eligible for. There are several types of SSA benefits you may qualify for.

Making an appointment would be the first step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been to the office and they told me that I should have come into the office to let them know that I had retired instead of calling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IRS also let them know that I was retired
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

You have to make another appointment to discuss your options. Somebody has to check your and your husband's work records to determine what are you eligible for. IRS usually don't inform SSA about your retirement since IRS has no way of knowing when you choose to retire. It is your choice. When you called the first time maybe the agent discontinued the benefits assuming you will apply for your own. To be sure, you will have to talk to them.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Or maybe there was a deadline to respond and you didn't? It is all just a guess. The only way to find out is to talk to somebody at the SSA, preferably in person.

If your benefits are or were denied you can appeal it. Just because SSA discontinued the benefits it doesn't mean you cannot do anything about it. Unfortunately I cannot access your records so I have no way of knowing what's going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they do I retired from the IRS, and thank for the information, but I have tried them already
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but there's no other way. You can hire an attorney to do it for you but it will most cost you little fortune. Most SS issues can be solved by talking to an SSA agent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Eva, I am not sure if this is an opt out or if you are still answering? Please let me know, I may have some questions here that may get to the answer for her, or at least clarify a little. I'd PM you, but the site doesn't provide access to PM names, I don't think. But let me know! PM sojlaw

Good afternoon, OK, let's start at the beginning.

1) Are you saying you started receiving your first Social Security benefits when you turned 66? (This would mean you actually APPLIED for them, as it does not happen automatically.)

2) What was the approximate month/year that you started collecting?

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional