lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am 78 and have been on social security since 65. My wife

Customer Question

I am 78 and have been on social security since 65. My wife just turned 66 in May this year and wants to hold off on filing until 70. The question is can she file for a spousal social security in the interim?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she can file for my spousal what is the procedure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume the answer to my question cost $32 as stated. I do not need on-going service at this time.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

The issue is that your spouse may be eligible for social security benefits on her own record and for spousal benefits.

If she is ELIGIBLE for social security benefits based on her own earning record - she may not elect spousal benefits instead of her own.

She will be paid her OWN benefits.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

If she is eligible for both - benefits based on her own record and spousal benefits - she will be paid her own benefits first plus additional benefits if spousal benefits are larger.
If she is thinking to receive spousal benefits INSTEAD of her own - that will not work such way.
If she wants to delay her social security benefits till 70 - that is possible - but in this case - she would not receive any benefits.