How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My American husband died on October 18 2014 in the

Customer Question

my American husband died on October 18 2014 in the Philippines and is survived by myself wife and s 12 year old recognized illegitimate son by another woman in the Philippines . I went to the social security office and was told neither I nor my husband's son has any benefit arising out of my husband's death because his SS contributions are less than ten years, only 7 years with the latest being last 2009. Is there an appeal to this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for your tragic loss. Unfortunately, this is the case -- you must have 10 years of payments into social security in order to get a death or retirement benefit. I wish I had better news for you. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.