How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4624
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 62 and plan to retire at 66. My income has dropped

Customer Question

I'm 62 and plan to retire at 66. My income has dropped substantially and there is little chance it will improve. Is there a way to keep the next four years of little or no income from adversely effecting my social security benefits when I retire?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Your best 35 indexed years of income establish your benefit. If you do not have high income years now, it won't reduce your benefit. Higher income in late years can only help, and lower income years do not hurt.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

I hope that clarifies things. Please ask any follow up questions you might need. Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated.

I'm PDtax.