How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4623
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away approx. 7 years ago. my daughter is

Customer Question

my husband passed away approx. 7 years ago. my daughter is allowed to collect ss on her fathers ss. She is severely handicapped. I am drawing on his social security as well. How is this possible?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

family survivor benefits are available for a surviving parent and children. If your child is under 16, you are eligible for a survivor benefit of 75% of a full widow's benefit. Your child is eligible for her own 75% benefit as well. The total family survivor benefit is limited to 150% of the deceased's full retirement benefit.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

I hope that clarifies your benefits and the amount you collect, each and in total.

SSA offers a web page that covers the subject in more detail. The link is;

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.