Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My wife turns FRA, 66, on 3/20/16. I wish her to take the

Customer Question

My wife turns FRA, 66, on 3/20/16. I wish her to take the full spousal benefit. Exactly what day should she file (or request benefit payment) for the SS benefit in order to receive the full benefit (a full 1/2 of my FRA--I will be 67 and have not taken
mine yet)? Will she receive a partial month benefit on 3/31/16? Or will she receive a FULL monthly benefit on 3/31/16? I would like her to receive the maximum spousal benefit possible. What should I do to achieve this?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

She can't take spousal unless you have filed. Through 4/2016, with the new law, you can file and suspend your own benefits, if you wish to grow yours to 70. After that, the law just changed and any suspension you do will suspend all takers under your record :( So, if you did file and suspend, then there is no "day" to file - rather, it is what she states in her application as to start date that counts. We are considered to have met our FRA the month we turn FRA, so she can file as soon as you do, but make sure to indicate that she wants it as of her FRA month. She should get her full spousal if she is collecting for March, since that is the month she is FRA. Also, we never receive it the month due, but the following month. So if she was eligible to file In March or earlier, for March, she won't get the check til April.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!