How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29574
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a licensed private investigator in Tucson, AZ. I am

Customer Question

My name is***** and I am a licensed private investigator in Tucson, AZ. I am helping a homeless man try to locate and reconnect with his son. The homeless man's name is***** He claims he was granted SSI in 2012 but has not been getting his benefits because he is homeless and has no identification.
What identification does he need? I am helping him apply for his Birth Certificate and I have his Social Security number. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

The Social Security Administration lists here important original documents to proof eligibility.


We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport.


You must present your birth certificate. If one exists, you must submit it. If a birth certificate does not exist, we may be able to accept your:

  • Religious record made before the age of 5 showing your date of birth;
  • U.S. hospital record of your birth; or
  • U.S. passport.


We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

  • U.S. driver's license;
  • State-issued non-driver identification card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

  • Employee identification card;
  • School identification card;
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
  • U.S. military identification card.

Let me know if that works for you?

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

So far - that is the standard to proof identity for most social security cases.