dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I have previously received retirement benefits and

Customer Question

I have previously received retirement benefits and disability benefits since 1985. I recently a notification the the prior amounts were computed incorrectly and are actually more than I was receiving. The amount of each monthly check for Retirement and Disability is greater now. Am I allowed to make a claim for previously incorrect payments since the error is SSA's?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OK, first please clarify: We can't collect both SS Disability and SS Retirement simultaneously. Generally, SSDIB goes to one's full retirement age, at which point in converts in name only, to SSR. So are you saying you were on SSDIB, are not over full retirement age, and continue to receive checks (which would now be SSR, it is a seamless transition and automatic).

And, you have a letter FROM the SSA that says you were "underpaid"? Does it prove direction? Does it indicate it will be remedying this?