How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have previously received retirement benefits and

Customer Question

I have previously received retirement benefits and disability benefits since 1985. I recently a notification the the prior amounts were computed incorrectly and are actually more than I was receiving. The amount of each monthly check for Retirement and Disability is greater now. Am I allowed to make a claim for previously incorrect payments since the error is SSA's?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OK, first please clarify: We can't collect both SS Disability and SS Retirement simultaneously. Generally, SSDIB goes to one's full retirement age, at which point in converts in name only, to SSR. So are you saying you were on SSDIB, are not over full retirement age, and continue to receive checks (which would now be SSR, it is a seamless transition and automatic).

And, you have a letter FROM the SSA that says you were "underpaid"? Does it prove direction? Does it indicate it will be remedying this?