How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SSA.Help4u.168 Your Own Question
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3475
Experience:  Tax Accountant
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
SSA.Help4u.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a ss claim be made retro active child whos parent died

Customer Question

can a ss claim be made retro active for a child whos parent died in 2000 but for some reason did get benefits .he was 13 at the time. in talking to his mom a single woman who just lost her job.she has no explanation why she and her son did not recieve benefits.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  SSA.Help4u.168 replied 1 year ago.

Based on the following information, the answer is no. SEE BELOW:

C. Retroactivity for survivors

We allow retroactivity up to six months for unreduced, retirement and survivor (RSI) claimants.

EXCEPTION: Certificates of election of reduced spouse’s (or reduced widow(er)’s and surviving divorced spouse’s benefits can be retroactive for up to 12 months. For more information on certificates of election of reduced spouse’s benefits, see RS 00202.055. For more information on reduced widow(er)’s and surviving divorced spouse’s benefits, see RS 00207.025.



As for the child not receiving benefits at the time of the father's death, I am unable to provide information as to why the child did not receive benefits then. Did the mother apply for survivor benefits at that time?

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, ss had her divorced which she was not. this was a mistake on the husbands death certificate
Expert:  SSA.Help4u.168 replied 1 year ago.

This is a matter that would need to be discussed with Social Security, but at this point, as so many years has passed, the time period to request an appeal has likely long passed.