SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

Can a ss claim be made retro active child whos parent died

Customer Question

can a ss claim be made retro active for a child whos parent died in 2000 but for some reason did get benefits .he was 13 at the time. in talking to his mom a single woman who just lost her job.she has no explanation why she and her son did not recieve benefits.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  SSA.Help4u.168 replied 1 year ago.

Based on the following information, the answer is no. SEE BELOW:

C. Retroactivity for survivors

We allow retroactivity up to six months for unreduced, retirement and survivor (RSI) claimants.

EXCEPTION: Certificates of election of reduced spouse’s (or reduced widow(er)’s and surviving divorced spouse’s benefits can be retroactive for up to 12 months. For more information on certificates of election of reduced spouse’s benefits, see RS 00202.055. For more information on reduced widow(er)’s and surviving divorced spouse’s benefits, see RS 00207.025.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200204030

----------------------------------------------

As for the child not receiving benefits at the time of the father's death, I am unable to provide information as to why the child did not receive benefits then. Did the mother apply for survivor benefits at that time?

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, ss had her divorced which she was not. this was a mistake on the husbands death certificate

This is a matter that would need to be discussed with Social Security, but at this point, as so many years has passed, the time period to request an appeal has likely long passed.