Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have been receiving disability benefits last three years

Customer Question

I have been receiving disability benefits for the last three years for the diagnosis of bipolar disorder.
Two weeks ago, I received a notification of a CDR.
Since my original disability determination, my diagnosis has changed from bipolar to major depression (recurrent) and PTSD.
How do I address this on the CDR form? And what impact will this have on the CDR process and my receiving continuing disability?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I can help here

...

Bot***** *****ne here is that you need fill it out completely and literally and quickly.

...

You can take heart in the fact that any cessation will be based entirely on medical records

...

The form itself, just goes through a scanning process .. and the only thing you can is (1) Make sure what you describe marches your medical records and (2) that you don't have any "red flags." ... (There are certain answers that might have the form actually go to a warm body and be looked at).

...

From an excellent article by the disability attorneys at Nolo.com:

...

The form's purpose is to catch any changes in your circumstances. If the answers to the questions on the form (which are optically scanned by the SSA) raise any red flags, the agency will then do a full medical review. Red flags might be:

• entering earnings above $1,090 per month (the SGA amount)
  • checking the box "my doctor told me I can work"
  • checking the box saying your health is "better" than it was at your last review or approval, or
  • saying you haven't visited a doctor since your last review or approval.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but that didn't answer my question. Hi there--I have been receiving disability benefits for the diagnosis of bipolar disorder.Since my original disability determination, my diagnosis has changed from bipolar to major depression (recurrent) and PTSD.How do I address this on the CDR form? And what impact will this have on the CDR process and my receiving continuing disability?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHERE do I describe the change in diagnosis???? Do I need to explain the change? Will this change cause further review?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Have you seen the form?

...

Your answers and explanations on the form will cause that to bubble to the top.

...

If you need space, go to "remarks" (I believe that's section 10, page 14) and answer the questions more fully by listing the question number and then explaining THERE

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

2A and 2B, for example...

...

In 2A you'll list the conditions as they are

..

In 2B you answer, Yes, something has changed and then explain the new diagnoses

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Note that 2B says

...

"Has there been a change (for better or worse) ..."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your help but perhaps I should ask it this way: should I submit the paperwork based on my new conditions and list only those. Or should I continue to list the bipolar diagnosis as well given that it was the original diagnosis for which I received disability.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Both, in 2A, I would say... exactly what you said in the question; "my diagnosis has changed from bipolar to major depression (recurrent) and PTSD"

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

The bot***** *****ne here is that your answers match your medical records

...

Fir example, in the Medications sections your listing the medications (as they are now ... because THAT question isn't about change - as 2A is) will show, match-up, with your CURRENT diagnosis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but perhaps you and I are looking at different forms. I am filling out form SSA-454-BK (04-2014). Section 3A asks to " List the physical and or mental conditions that limit your ability to work. List each physical and/or mental condition separately. Should I include my previous diagnosis of bipolar there? It is no longer a diagnosis listed on my medical records.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

That's possible ... I'm looking at SSA-4424-BK, but it could be dated ... That doesn't hover, change the answer.

...

You should answer questions about change literally (these are what are called "from-to"questions") ... and answer question that onm;y as ABOUT current issues, with the current issue

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

By the way, what you have there is the "long form" meaning that they do intend to pull medical records

...

SO, what's CRITICAL is that your answers match up with what your Doctor has said and are in the records

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, just saw the last part of your question

...

Yes, just what you have now

...

This is an example of their changing that question from a "to-from" to a current situation

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Now, I would, to help them connect the dots, reference the question number in the remarks section and explain the from-to piece yourself.

...

Note that is says, "If you need more space go to Section 11 - Remarks on last page" in that section

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Bot***** *****ne is to be thorough .and honest.. you can ALWAYS add more information in the remarks section

...

When in doubt, explain.

...

What they are looking for is "MEDICAL IMPROVEMENT"

...

What they will do is compare your latest medical records and your answers on your daily activities to your case file, which contains your old medical records (and your RFC assessment, which showed what you could do when you were approved for benefits or at your last disability review (or initial claim if this is your first CDR)

...

If your medical records (or answers) show some medical improvement related to your ability to work, you could be denied benefits.

...

Social Security Administration will not cease and discontinue a person's benefits if his or her medical records don't indicate the existence of medical improvement.

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I'd be glad to make what's called an "additional services offer" (which will open up a field on our screens to enter contact info confidentially) so that we can work through the form together.

...

If you accept, I'll enter my office phone number and we can go from there.

...

Lane

/