How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 63 yrs old and on social security disability. My

Customer Question

I am 63 yrs old and on social security disability. My husband and I have been separated for several years. How do I know if I am getting the right amount? When will I get half of my former husband's social security (he is 66)?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

In order to qualify to get a portion of his benefit you must first meet certain conditions:

1. You must be at least 62 years of age. You have that met.

2. You must not have remarried until after age 60. You have met that qualification as well.

The next step is for you to go to a local Social Security Administration office and complete a request for the benefit. You will then be eligible to receive the greater of your own benefit or 1/2 of his (whichever is larger). You will need to bring certain documentation with you:

1. Your Social Security card

2. Photo ID for yourself (usually a driver's license or state issued identification card)

3. Proof of marriage.

4. His Social Security number.

You can locate a nearby SSA office at their web site

Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

If you need additional information please feel free to ask.