How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 70 years old collecting Social Security, residing in

Customer Question

I am 70 years old collecting Social Security, residing in Canada as a permanent resident. I have been married for 14 years and I am inquiring as to eligibility for my Canadian wife. My wife is 66 years old. Is she eligible for benefits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help.

As your wife is not a US resident or citizen and is not living in the US, rather living in a foreign country, she would not be eligible for benefits.

If she moved to the US she would get benefits, although they would be reduced if she received any Canadian benefits.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.