How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29580
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive social security I am 68 my husband is 64 and will

Customer Question

I receive social security I am 68 my husband is 64 and will retire at 70 , can he get spousal benifits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

You will be eligible for social security benefits based on your spouse's earning records if your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits.

If you are eligible for both your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, SSA always pays your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit.

If your spouse is planning to delay his benefits - he may use "file and suspend" strategy

See here

But be sure to use that strategy before 2016 as a new law will eliminate this option.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.